Acne Scars Don’t Stand a Chance Against These Pro & At-Home Treatments
Acne scars don’t stand a chance against these pro & at-home treatments. If you’ve ever had acne or suffered from breakouts, then you’ll know exactly how painful they can be. And although acne scarring isn’t something that happens overnight, it can take years to heal properly.
There are several ways to treat acne scars, ranging from topical creams to laser treatment. Some of them even involve surgery. But before you go under the knife, you should consider using some natural remedies instead.
What are the different types of acne scars?
Acne scars can occur due to several reasons including genetics, hormones, sun exposure, skin conditions like rosacea, and bacterial infections. They can range from mild to severe and can affect both the face and body. While there are many treatments available, it is important to understand how each treatment works and what type of scar you might end up with.
There are three main types of acne scars: ice pick, boxcar, and rolling. Ice pick scars tend to form deep vertical lines across the skin. Boxcar scars are round, flat, and usually red. Rolling scars look like a bandage and are often raised and bumpy.
How do I get rid of acne scars naturally?
You may have heard about chemical peels for your acne scars. This involves exfoliating the top layer of dead skin cells off your face and exposing new skin underneath. It’s not recommended for all people, but if you’re interested in trying this method, make sure to consult your dermatologist first.
Another way to remove acne scars is by using dermal fillers. Dermal fillers are injected into the skin to smooth out wrinkles and create a more youthful appearance. Although they aren’t permanent, they can last anywhere between six months to two years depending on the product used.
If you want to avoid going under the knife, try one of these at-home methods.
1. Use an oil-free moisturizer
Moisturizers help keep your skin hydrated and prevent dryness. Oil-based products can clog pores and cause acne. Instead, use an oil-free moisturizing cream such as CeraVe Moisture Surge.
2. Exfoliate regularly
Exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells and unclogs pores. You can use either a scrub or a peel. A scrub will leave your skin feeling soft while a peel will give your skin a fresh glow. Try using sugar scrubs like Dr. Brandt’s Sugar Scrub or a glycolic acid peel like Glytone Peel.
3. Apply sunscreen daily
Sunscreen protects your skin from UV rays which can lead to premature aging and dark spots. Make sure to apply sunscreen every day after cleansing and makeup removal. Look for SPF 30+ formulas since SPF 15 doesn’t offer enough protection.
4. Drink plenty of water
Drinking eight glasses of water per day keep your skin hydrated and prevent dehydration. Dehydration leads to dull skin and makes acne worse.
5. Avoid harsh soaps
Harsh soaps strip away the protective oils that keep your skin healthy. If you wash your face with soap, rinse well with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
6. Eat foods rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants fight free radicals that damage your skin. Foods high in antioxidants include berries, leafy greens, tomatoes, and citrus fruits.
There are plenty of home remedies out there that can help reduce the appearance of acne scars. In this article, we’ll show you how to get rid of those pesky marks without spending a fortune.
1. Lemon Juice: This is one of the most popular and effective home remedies for treating acne scars. All you need to do is apply lemon juice directly to your skin. You can either use fresh lemon juice or buy an acid toner like Listerine. The latter will also work as a spot treatment for pimples.
2. Aloe Vera Gel: Another great way to soothe irritated skin is by applying aloe vera gel. It’s packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which make it perfect for healing blemishes. Just rub a little bit of aloe vera gel onto your face and leave it for about 20 minutes. Then wash off with warm water.
3. Honey: Honey has been used for centuries to cure various ailments including acne. It helps in reducing inflammation and soothing redness. To use honey as a remedy for acne scars, just mix equal parts of raw honey and milk. Apply the mixture to your affected area and let it sit for 15 minutes. Afterward, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
4. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is another wonderful ingredient that works wonders when it comes to treating acne scars. Mix 1 part tea tree oil and 2 parts olive oil. Massage the mixture into your skin until it dries up. Leave it on overnight and wash it off in the morning.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is yet another amazing ingredient that can be used to fight acne scars. Make sure to dilute it first since apple cider vinegar is quite strong. For every cup of water, add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Follow this remedy once or twice a week for best results.
6. Baking Soda: Baking soda is another inexpensive ingredient that can be used effectively to eliminate acne scars. Simply mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with enough water to form a paste. Apply this mixture to your affected areas and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water and follow up with a moisturizer.
7. Egg Whites: Eggs have always been considered a superfood because of all the nutrients they contain. They’re rich in protein and amino acids that promote cell regeneration and collagen production. Applying egg whites directly onto acne scars can help speed up their healing process.
8. Milk: If you want to try something different, why not give the milk a chance? It contains casein proteins that help in firming up loose skin cells. So if you’re looking to tighten up your skin, start drinking more milk!
9. Green Tea: Drinking green tea regularly can actually improve your complexion. According to studies, catechins found in green tea are able to lighten dark spots and even out skin tone.
10. Yogurt: When applied topically, yogurt can reduce inflammation and heal wounds faster than any other cream. It’s also very useful for those who suffer from rosacea.
11. Bananas: Bananas are highly recommended for people who experience oily skin. Bananas are packed with vitamin A which promotes dry skin conditions like eczema.
12. Avocados: Avocados are extremely beneficial for anyone suffering from scarring. The fatty acids present in avocados increase cellular turnover, allowing dead skin cells to naturally shed off.
Pro Treatments for acne scars
Acne scar treatment is a very common problem. Acne scars are caused by inflammation and the formation of new blood vessels which results in dark, red, or purple spots on your skin. These spots can be permanent if not treated properly. There are many treatments available to treat acne scars including laser therapy, chemical peels, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, and surgical procedures such as face lifts. However, these treatments can be expensive and painful. Fortunately, there are several at-home remedies that can help get rid of acne scars quickly and safely. Here we will discuss some of them.
1. Laser Treatment: This treatment uses high-energy beams that target specific problems such as pigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles, etc. The laser beam penetrates deep within the layers of the skin causing minimal damage to surrounding tissues.
2. Chemical Peels: This procedure exfoliates the outer layer of the skin using chemicals. Acne scars will gradually fade away after several treatments.
3. Microdermabrasion: This non-invasive treatment removes the uppermost layer of skin by buffing it with crystals. It helps remove damaged skin cells and reduces the appearance of scars.
4. Ultherapy: This treatment involves heating the surface of the skin to stimulate new collagen growth. It has proven effective in reducing the appearance of scars caused due to acne.
5. PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma): In this treatment, blood is taken out of the patient’s body and spun at high speeds to separate the red blood cells from platelets. Platelets contain various growth factors that encourage tissue repair and rejuvenation.
6. Fraxel Laser: This treatment uses a fractional CO2 laser to deliver controlled doses of heat to the skin. It stimulates collagen production resulting in smoother, firmer skin.
7. Skin Grafts: This treatment takes a small piece of healthy skin from another area of the body and transplants it to the affected area. It eliminates scars left behind by surgery or burns.
8. Scar Revision Surgery: This treatment aims to reconstruct the original shape of the face. It may involve removing existing scars and replacing them with fresh ones.
9. Fat Transfer: This treatment transfers fat from one part of the body to another where it is needed most. For example, fat is transferred from the abdomen to the cheeks to fill in depressions and create a smooth finish.
10. Botox: This treatment paralyzes muscles responsible for frowning and causes facial expressions to become less pronounced.
11. Lasers: This treatment uses lasers to destroy the damaged skin cells on the surface of the skin. It is used to treat acne scars, sun spots, and age spots.
12. Stem Cell Therapy: This treatment injects stem cells into the skin to trigger cell regeneration. It results in smoother, more radiant skin.
13. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Therapy: IPL therapy uses light pulses to kill bacteria and reduce inflammation. It also improves the appearance of scars. It can be done alone or along with other procedures.
14. Mesotherapy: This treatment delivers injections of vitamins and minerals directly into the dermis to promote healing and improve the appearance of scars.
Scars are not permanent. They can be treated effectively with these home remedies. You should try all of these methods before you go for expensive cosmetic surgeries.