When choosing products for our facial care routine, we find many options that can easily confuse us. For example, facial moisturizers are very important, but which one is best for our skin type? When is it best to apply it? These are some of the doubts that attack us when buying.
And when other products like face serum come into play, doubts multiply. Many people are unaware of the functions of the serum on the skin and whether it is really necessary to integrate it into the beauty routine. So, if you are wondering whether to buy serum or cream, in this article we will tell you about its main differences and uses on the skin. Read on to improve your results and get spectacular skin!
What are moisturizers
Moisturizers are products designed to protect and strengthen the main action of the skin, prevent external aggressions, keep the skin moist and without feeling of tightness. In addition, they also smooth expression lines to prevent the formation of wrinkles.
Creams are the most common product in beauty routines. Currently, we can find creams with formulas designed to improve specific properties, such as moisturizing, soothing, sebum-regulating, nourishing, regenerating, redensifying, depigmenting, firming properties, among others.
How to choose and use moisturizers
When purchasing a face cream, you will find many options in the market. Keep these tips in mind for choosing the best one for your facial routine:
- Creams with lighter and more liquid textures are recommended for combination skin with an oily tendency.
- Nourishing creams with a thicker texture are recommended for dry skin that needs more flexibility.
- Other creams have a powdery effect that will bring softness and a peachy skin effect. These types of creams are great for mature skin, oily skin, and combination skin because they regulate sebum secretion and provide a matte texture without drying out the skin.
- Coloring creams allow us to even out the complexion and correct imperfections and imperfections of the face.
Now, in order to know how to use moisturizers, you should keep in mind that some are designed to be applied day and night.
Day creams provide treatment to keep the skin comfortable, protected and supple throughout the day. Plus, they usually have sun protection.
On the other hand, night creams have a more regenerating action, are more nutritious than day creams, and in some cases contain active ingredients with acids, so they must be washed very well before being exposed to the sun.
You can also find creams that can be applied in the morning and evening.
What are face serums
Les sérums sont des produits cosmétiques qui ont été développés dans le but d’augmenter l’efficacité de la crème hydratante. Le marché avait un objectif clair et était de créer le complément idéal pour intensifier l’action de la crème et pouvoir atteindre un niveau de peau plus profond.
Actuellement, il existe des sérums raffermissants, hydratants, anti-taches, anti-rides, régénérants, redensifiants et plus de propriétés sur le marché. D’autres sérums ont une texture grasse conçue pour reconstituer les lipides de la peau, ce qui les rend bénéfiques pour les peaux sèches.
How to use the facial serum
The face serum is one of the most versatile products on the market, both for its texture and for its mode of application. Its pleasant and light texture allows its application day and night. In addition, it can be supplemented with moisturizers, but these must be adequate so as not to saturate the skin or provide more oil. There are different ways to apply it:
- If you apply it at night, you can use it on its own to enjoy a fresh and light feeling. This method of application is more recommended for combination or oily skin. For dry skin, you can also use a moisturizer.
- If you apply it during the day, you can only supplement it with sunscreen. It is an ideal light treatment for summer and for oily skin.
- You can also apply it before makeup to give a lifting effect.
- In any case, it is very important to dose the amount of product to provide the skin with the right amount of active ingredient. Find out more tips in our How to Use Facial Serum article.
To know what your ideal treatment is, it is important to know your skin type and what you want to treat or improve with the serum.
Serum or cream – differences
Now that we know exactly what creams and serums are and what they are for, it only remains to distinguish the differences between the two products to find out which one is best for your needs.
With the arrival of serums, the formulation of cosmetic products has completely changed. Thanks to this product, today we find infinite textures that adapt to all skin types. In this sense, these are the main differences between serum and cream:
- Unlike creams, the serum is lighter and fat-free.
- The serums have greater capillary action, which means that they penetrate the deeper layers of the skin where the cream does not reach.
- The formula of the serum contains a higher concentration of active ingredients, which makes them more effective than moisturizers.
- Although the serum hydrates, it is not a substitute for moisturizers, the effects of which in keeping the skin hydrated are more powerful.
However, it is very important that a specialist advises and recommends you correctly. This way, you will make sure that the serum and the cream you are using have the same functions on the skin and that they work in harmony to avoid the collapse or cause cosmetic acne. The main benefit of combining a hydrating and serum routine is that you can enhance the effects of both and speed up their results.